Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Is this Carlo Catani?

I came across this photo the other day and as soon as I saw it, I thought - this has got to be Carlo.  It was taken at the works to divert the course of the Yarra in 1897 to help prevent flooding. You can see a map of the Yarra River Works, here. I am convinced that the man is Carlo Catani - same build, same bowler hat I have seen in other photos;  he had a beard and a moustache like the man in the photo does;  he wore that cutaway style jacket and he was clearly involved with the Yarra River works. Carlo was a very hands-on engineer and it would have been just like him to check out the progress. If it isn't Carlo, then who is it?


Yarra diversion works, Melbourne, 1897. Photographer: John Henry Harvey
State Library of Victoria Accession no: H2009.100/66

No comments:

Post a Comment